I love this time of year. The shows on television, the songs in the store…but mostly the movies. I’m a sucker for the sappy movies on certain channels. I can’t get enough. Why? I know I’ll get a happy ending each time I watch. Okay, so I know some will be a tad on the cheesy side, but I don’t mind. I love watching. I write while the movies play and it gets me in the mood for the season.
So what are my top five favorite Christmas movies? Now these are my favorites. I’m sure your list will be different, but maybe there’s one or two you might like or haven’t seen.
- Arthur Christmas – I love the original take on Santa and his family. The story involves a family of Santas who pass down the role of SANTA through the years. It’s new, fresh and with Arthur being voiced by James McAvoy (le sigh), I can’t go wrong.
- A Muppet Christmas – this isn’t a widely known Christmas film, but it’s about the Muppets going to Fozzie’s mother’s house for the holidays. The Muppets, the Sesame Street Gang, plus the Fraggles are involved. It’s the best and I could watch them fall on the icy patch for hours.
- Nightmare Before Christmas – I love the oddity of this movie and the music is awesome. I’ll watch this one from Halloween straight through to Christmas. Why not? It covers both holidays. Plus, I love Jack Skellington and Sally.
- National Lampoons’s Christmas Vacation – I don’t know about you, but I can identify with so many parts of this movie – the dog crashing the dinner, the dog drinking the tree water, the cat and the Christmas lights, the family disagreeing on everything, the shouting, arguing, intrusiveness…the list goes on and on. It makes me feel better about my family Christmases not being perfect and reminds me to laugh. Above all…laugh.
- Miracle on 34th Street – the black and white version with Natalie Wood. I have to specify because some liked the remake and others like the colorized version. I’m a purist. I want the original without the fixings. John Payne makes a great lawyer and crusader for the downtrodden. Edmund Gwenn might as well BE Santa and the magic in Natalie Wood’s eyes is palpable. This movie snags me every time.
So I ask you…which one from my list is your favorite? Which one is you favorite that I didn’t include? I’d love to know. I’m always open to new Christmas movies.
Here’s a little bit about my latest Christmas release, Christmas in Cedarwood!
Christmas in Cedarwood by Megan Slayer
with Bonus Story ~ Single in Springdale
A Single Father Society novella
from Loose Id Publishing
Contemporary, Holiday, M/M, Anal Sex, masturbation, May/December Romance
Available in December
Christmas in Cedarwood
Two men, one kid, and the frayed nerves that come with the holidays… Can they make it through to Christmas without a blow-up?
Colt Harrison knew when he met Ashley Willis that he’d found the one man for him. He loves Ashley’s son, Wyatt, as if he were his own. But the stress of living together, compounded with buying a home and adopting pets, has worn him down…not to mention the aggravation that comes with the diner he owns. He wants to make Christmas special for his family, but how can they have a great holiday when Colt’s never home?
Ashley’s got a two-week vacation from his job at the elementary school teaching art. All he wants is time with Colt and Wyatt. He loves Colt, but not the long hours spent at the diner, especially around the holidays. Can he be honest about what he wants from Colt and keep the man he loves?
Anything is possible if they embrace the magic of Christmas.
Bonus story included!
Single in Springdale
Can two lonely hearts find their way to each other despite the odds?
Dr. Isaac McLean knows he’s not supposed to lust after a patient, but there’s something about Len Connor that he can’t forget. His laugh? His strong will? His sexy body. But will Len want to be with his former doctor?
Len Connor wasn’t looking to get back into the dating scene, but a chance meeting with Isaac at the animal shelter has him thinking otherwise. Isaac is sweet, funny and oh, so handsome. But he’s also at least twenty years younger than Len. Will this cougar get his cub and have a happy ending? Or will the relationship fall apart before it gets started?