Okay, romance novelists, today for Technical Tuesday we’re talking about one of the more powerful social media platforms you can harness to promote your books – Facebook.
One of the largest social media venues, Facebook not only used across most demographics, but it also has one of the larger user bases which makes it highly desirable for an author to promote there. Regardless of what genre you write for, your market is there on Facebook.
There are three ways to market your books and yourself on this platform:
- Create a personal Facebook profile and connect with readers using that.
- Create a page for your romance novels or yourself as an author
- Join or start a Facebook Group.
The first item is exactly what it says. Taking a profile you’ve created on Facebook and promoting your books that way. Some don’t want to merge their personal life with their writing or they write under a pseudonym making this option not so desirable.
Facebook allows users to create pages so you could launch an official author page there on Facebook for the promotion of yourself as an author and for your books. It’s totally independent of your personal profile. This is a more popular solution for authors and one to be considered. Facebook gives you all the tools you need to market effectively and some pretty impressive statistics too to let you know how your posts are doing and which are drawing more attention. Plus, you have the added benefit to allow your followers to post on the page or not.
Facebook Groups are used by many authors for promotion, especially by newer authors. A collection of similar-minded fans in your genre can attract new readers and keep you fresh in readers’ minds. A bonus! Facebook groups gives you a perfect environment to interact with followers but it does require a bit of time to manage, to moderate, and weed out any undesirables.
Good Examples of Facebook for Authors:
- Angela Knight: An example of an author Facebook done well by a favorite author who keeps readers up to date on her latest projects and writings. She also promotes writing classes she offers at various venues. Bonus!
- Neil Gaiman: Another beloved author who shares glimpses of his personal life with readers and promotes his books and promotions.
- John Green: More of a vlog than a social media profile, John offers a unique way to market his works through Facebook that’s engaging and entertaining.
- Lisa Renee Jones Insiders Book Group: The author’s promo group offering exclusive excerpts, giveaways and news about her upcoming books.
Check out this insightful guide to Facebook Marketing by Neil Patel, a marketing guru who has helped thousands learn more about SEO and strategic marketing technique.