Putting the Hook in Your Book
May 18, 2023 08:00 PM EST
We all know that a strong hook is essential to a good story. But what exactly makes for a compelling hook? And how can a writer know when they have it? Indeed, no matter the genre, a strong hook will draw your readers in from the very start and compel them to keep turning the pages.
Literary Agent Cecilia (“CeCe”) Lyra represents adult fiction and nonfiction. As both a storyteller and a storyseller, CeCe believes that stories are empathy-generating machines capable of healing, connecting, and enacting lasting change. Her favorite stories all have unforgettable hooks.
The 2-hour workshop will cover the elements of hooks in book, including:
- what is a hook, anyway?
- different types of hooks (in different types of books)
- elements of a compelling hook
- real-world examples of hooks that sell
- most common mistakes when defining a hook (hint: it has to do with what a hook isn’t)
- how to sharpen your hook
- tips and tricks to brainstorm hooks
- how to frame a hook in a query letter; and
- Q&A session.
Writers of all categories and genres are invited to attend.
If you cannot attend live but wish to watch the webinar, please sign up as the recording will be emailed to you 24hr later. Recordings will be available to the viewer for 60 days.