Writing Relationships: Developing Character Connections in Your Story with Cecilia Lyra
Jul 20, 2023, 08:00 PM EST – $69 via Zoom
Storytelling requires many things — and connecting with character is at the top of the list! A big part of achieving that connection is understanding the central relationships in your protagonist’s life and leveraging them to move your story forward. No matter the genre, being able to effectively breathe life into the relationships featured in your book will draw your readers in from the very start and compel them to read on. Description Literary Agent Cecilia (“CeCe”) Lyra represents adult fiction and nonfiction. As both a storyteller and a storyseller, CeCe believes that stories are empathy-generating machines capable of healing, connecting, and enacting lasting change. Her favorite stories are the ones she can’t put down!
The 2-hour webinar will cover various aspects of weaving relationships in stories, including:
- foundation of writing relationships in stories
- the essential relationships that go into every story (protagonist, antagonist, love interest, best friend, etc.
- How the protagonist’s likeability is tied to relationships
- How writing relationships can develop the protagonist’s arc
- How to frame conflict and stakes in relationships to keep the reader turning the pages
- Chemistry between characters (not just the love interest!)
- How relationship-driven elements can move the plot along
- Most common mistakes in writing relationships (and how to get it right)
- Common challenges in writing relationships (and how to turn them into successes)
- Tips and tricks to know if your relationships are working
- The role of writing relationships in various genres
- The role of writing relationships in the query letter
- Q&A session. Writers of all categories and genres are invited to attend.
If you cannot attend live but wish to watch the webinar, please sign up as the recording will be emailed to you 24hr later. Recordings will be available to the viewer for 60 days.